1.21.2006

Drinking & Thinking

The Hugo and I finally had some quality time this week. (The guy goes and gets a girlfriend, and suddenly I'm chopped liver!) We went for the classic -a movie. With a twist! The neighborhood here has a 'Brew and View', a glorious system of movie-watching, beer-drinking fun. On the cheap, too. Well... cheap tickets, at least. The drinks were a tad spendy.

Our film of the night was Walk the Line, the story of Johnny Cash. I'll be honest -I suggested seeing it as a sure-fire way to bait Hugo. I don't dig country, I know a total of two Cash songs, and wasn't really looking to change all that. So, we go, and it was good. Really good.

The B&V is moderately large with high ceilings and a simple decor. The bar was small, but there were waitresses, so it didn't really matter. The beer selection was a sorry state, and did much to disgrace the place. I'd say the most appealing part was the atmosphere and the extremely odd sensation of being at a dinner party.

{what about the movie!?!} Okay, okay. I will admit, the movie was great. Really. As good as people have been saying. I had no clue that Johnny had the rough life he did, or that he partied with the likes of Elvis and Jerry Lee. The acting was great, by which I mean, I saw Johnny and his family and his band, and even June Carter, living out their dramatic times. I didn't see Joaquin or Reese playing parts. It was easy to get into the film and be absorped by it all.

Walk the Line has made the list of must-see movies. So... get to it!

No comments: