9.30.2006

A Saturday Night, and I Ain't Got Nobody

I'm in Kisumu again, the only place to be. The only place to be for internet, at least! Damn the Posta and their humungous debt to the internet provider!! Rumor is, they have no plans to pay and reinstate the internet. Seems a great opportunity for some new business in Kenya, right?? Open your own little cyber cafe (pronounced phonetically here, no accent) and serve the needy people. Nope. Not yet, at least.

I may have mentioned before, I'm reading books like they're going out of style. I think my tally is 15 since arriving in Kenya. Turns out, the PC library has a lot of African books - about white residents or visitors in Africa, some fiction, some memoirs. Turns out, I have an interest in African books. I like being able to say "I've been there!" or "Man, I know exactly what you mean." Also, turns out, reading two African books, back to back, that criticize the development and the role of aid workers on this continent is a really bad idea.

I read Dark Star Safari, by Paul Theroux. Very good book, very good. He was a PCV in Malawi back in the day, and takes a stop at his old village to see how things have progressed. They haven't. If anything, things have regressed. The aid workers throughout the book are rude. There is an on-going comment on the damage that has actually resulted from this well-intended aid and donation. It makes people to be totally dependent on their next donor, never looking to themselves as a means to escape poverty.

The second book, Zanzibar Chest, was also really good. That one is the memoirs of a journalist in Africa, who has been in Somalia and Rwanda during the really bad times. I learned a lot from that book, which is always good. But, again, it had a negative comment for the aid workers that come in and force people to change and take on Western ways. I read these two back to back and was a mess for it. I was depressed, without hope, angry, and resentful of the PC and the people in my village who continually ask me for money. I took it out on one poor fella, who was asking me to connect him to a Christian group in the US to sponsor some projects. He had to go and pray for a while with the Secretary by the time I finished with him.

The good news: I'm sorta starting to do real work here, and work that I think can make more of a difference. I see teaching as having a stronger impact than setting up a small business, as our education always lasts longer than our interest in the summer lemonade stand. Last Wednesday, I went to Kilingili Secondary to meet all 340 of their co-ed students. We started a talk about sex and AIDS and keeping healthy. I really like their guidance counselor, so she and I will be setting up a long-term program where I can meet with smaller groups (like, 50 or less, PLEASE!) and teach this Life Skills program that's about assertiveness, AIDS, and delaying sex. A really positive approach, I think.

Martin and I went over to Eshinutsa Secondary, and they are in desperate need. They don't have a guidance counselor at all, nor do they have a female teacher. It's been a problem, as they can't access the students the way they need to. I'm very eager to get started there.

I'm here today to do some research on some projects and get some business done. I'm also trying to get the hell out of dodge for a breather, a shower and some food I didn't have to cook myself. One thing that has come up a few times is the topic of why female students don't last in Secondary. One reason is they are "sick" once a month, having to stay home because they can't afford tampons or pads. Just imagine how much you learn when you are only getting 75% of what the boys get. I'm hoping to either find a sponsor (ack, I know) or a means for women to solve this. I'm going to stop writing now and go check out LunaPads' site to see what they might suggest...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessi

I just have to see a photo of you surrounded by 50 children - I can't quite get a visual!

Did you get a package from me?

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,

I was shocked to hear about the problem with girls dropping out of school due to lack of pads/tampons. I have sent out a mass email to the girls to see if we can figure out a way to help you and these girls with this problem.

Keep me updated on your findings for a sponser. I will keep you updated also on what ideas we come up with.

Talk to you soon.

Cheryl

unbound said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
unbound said...

hey jess!
i am really sorry to not have keept in touch the way that i meant to...but as you can imagine i have been getting settled over here in japan as well. so i've been here for 2 months now; the kids are cool, my place is coming coming together, visited osaka, kobe and himeji so far, my town/village is rather smallish, but i am saving money, art is moving here in 7 weeks.
i really hope that you are doing well, and are able to get through the though shit! i miss home, but i would not want to be there. i miss the family and friends, but this is the best place for me to be, so i hope that you feel the same way about kenya. i want to call you, so send me you # , don't even waste time writing back, just give me your number. i know how precious internet time must be. i will call you as soon as you get it to me! i love you girl and i am proud to have a friend like you!
peace,
adela

unbound said...

sorry the comment that got deleted was me...i got a blog on here, and made a mistake somehow, BTW don't bother reading the blog, unless you got time, i can just tell you the short version when i call you...

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess Hard to believe thast the girls would have this problem. If needed, we can help in small doses. On the book side, see if you can get a copy of NEW NEWS OUT OF AFRICA by Charlayne Hunter-Gault.

Anonymous said...

Jessica,

Well, after sending out an email to some of the girls, I got a positive response from a few and they think they can get some people to help with this project as well. It could possibly get pretty big, but before we branch out to see who also wants to help, I wanted to see what your thoughts were on us helping you and show you some ideas that were presented from a few people.

Some ideas were:

1. Make pads ourselves... Adela knows someone that knows how to make them.

2. There is a clearence section on the wesite you mentioned, Lunapads.com where a person can purchase 8 pads for like $6. I figured if everyone purchased like 2-3 each that the numer could get pretty big.

3. Adela also mention bringing it up to the Women's Issues Forum at OU to see if more people would be interested in helping with this project. We might be able to get a pretty big response this way also, because after all, there are more than 17,000 people at OU.

A few people have mentioned some concerns. Here they are:

1. If we did reuseable pads would these girls have a place to wash them?

2. In some cultures throwing away/ disposal of pads can be viewed very negative, as can the whole idea of these kinds of products. How would the girls, that you have in mind, view washing and using reuseable pads?

3. Do you have a particular school in mind? If so, do you know how many girls there are? I would think that if you have a particular "secondary" school in mind, that along with those girls, you may want to include the middle school, because they will soon be in secondary school. All info you can give would be helpful.

What do you think of all this?

Cheryl

P.S.- I hope all is going well. Did you get my letter? It was the first time I sent something international... I was so proud of myself...lol.

Anonymous said...

Jess- On the subject of the pads. All should keep in mind the cost of mailing. It is by weight and is very pricey. That is why it might be best to get a company to send their 'imperfects', if there is such a thing. It may be best if your friend Cheryl organize all the girls to requet this from Kotex.

Anonymous said...

Jess- Another thought on the pads. Why not use this as a business for someoe in the village. It will probably be easier to get the materials sent there. Love