10.23.2005

Betty Rules!

Betty Rules! Did you know? I didn't. Not until I was there, about... a foot? from the stage. THEN. I knew. I know. And, damn, I am GLAD I found out!

We (being me and 3 gys from the Detroit Feminism Group) went to The Ark, in Ann Arbor, to see Betty. Turns out, The Ark is one of the greatest places to see music. For $17.50, we had a table right next to the right corner of the stage. This is a super small place, that feels like you are having a private party. It was so intimate.

Betty is the group of 3 tuff gys, with a cute drummer and a husband/guitarist, that sing and speak and entertain. They opened with an a capella number, then rocked, then did some humorous banter between them, then some folk, some rock, some spoken, all in circles. It really is a great show, so much more than just hearing a CD (as some bands are in concert -you wonder why you paid so much to hear a CD you already 'own', let's say).

They are seriously SO funny, my cheeks were sore at the end of the night. Their music is powerful. I really liked the 'I like the way you think, I like the beer you drink, but I don't like kissing you' song. The last song was a fab cover of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. And by 'fab', I mean, it didn't sound exactly like the original. They took a great song and owned it.

After the show, they stayed to sign and meet&great. Said they were impressed with us hot chicks, and you should keep a watch on their site, as we should all appear soon in a pic. Really great ladies!

After, we were too wound up to leave. Went to /aut/ for some drinks and a frustrating string of pool games. This cutie Chad was owning the table. We all lost miserable on our first tries with him, but all came *so* close on the second. I even did so well as to get 2 balls in on one hit. Was I excited!!!

It was great, overall and through and through. WELL worth the effort of getting to and from AA.

No comments: