8.26.2006

It's a Saturday in Kisumu

Habari zenu? Mzuri sana!! Hey y'all, how's life? Rockin', over here.

I am in Kisumu just now, where the internet is cheap and fast. The food is good. There are showers. Stima. Tarmak. Civilization. Yea, baby!!

I wasn't planning to come this weekend - I was gonna stay home and be good, in anticipation of my upcoming trip to Nukuru. But then I got a text msg saying there was a group of PCVs going to greet Mr. Barrak Obama as he arrived in the Kisumu airport, and did I want to come. Hell yea!! [FYI- Barrak's father was a Luo, from Nyanza province and he likes to come and be both political and familial with the Kenyans.] So, this morning, we all went down to the airport and stood around with a bunch of reporters, waiting. He arrived and came to greet us personally and talk with us PCVs. Very, very cool. We got a photo taken ( I hope to have it posted soon, I'll be in touch) and shook hands. I was in the background on the Citizen news today, as Barrak spoke with his Illinois constituents. There was a reporter from the Chicago Sun Times (Lynn something), who spoke with Claire and some others about Barrak and PC. Maybe you can look for a photo/news story on their site or on her blog. Let me know if and what you find!

Thanks so much to all you that have sent soap recipes. I will soon print and test them. If you have any other ideas for income generation, please be most free to share! It's not my main job here, but I still feel compelled to try.

Just for the info and the good example: My dear Aunt Jean sent a small pkg. this month. It came in a small envelope from the post office, maybe a 5x7? She got quite a bit of goods inside it (though she seems to have forgotten the letter!), and it was only $8 in postage. For whatever reason, it seems to have slipped through customs, as I paid no charge and saw no ticket. Maybe the size? Who knows... But it's a perfect way to send something small for cheap. And hey, Im not begging for packages. They are a treat (I smiled for days after this last one), but I am just as happy with a well-filled letter. Send Mail!! Let me know the mundane things and the exciting things. Don't be afraid of being boring. It wont be! THANKS!!!

No comments: