7.30.2005

The beginning and the end

So, here it is:

Peace Corps app was going okay, until my iron test showed I was iron-defient anemic. The medical folk in Washington, D.C. decided that anemia, coupled with a low heart rate, migraines and chronic insomnia, was just not a good thing to have when travelling to Africa. When I should have been getting a letter of invitation, I instead got a letter saying, 'sucks to be you, but keep us updated. Maybe you'll get a postcard.' I called Jeri, my recruiter, and she confirmed there were no programs for me until January or so.

The downside:

*I'm not going to Africa, at least... not for 6 months or so.

*I'll be here for the opening of our new Walmart, which I've been dreading since I first saw the sign at the construction site.

*All the new fall television I didn't want to get sucked into? Yep, I'll be here, rotting my brain.

*Winter. In Detroit, no less. Could there be an uglier place for such a great season?

*Major postponements in the graduate school situation. (but perhaps that's a perk?)

*I won't get to learn an obscure, but still cool, African language *6 more months of *this*.

The upside:

*Jeri said the January program was to Latin America, not Africa, so I'd get to use my spanish, which is great.

*I have time to take part in a sleep study at WSU, which, if it goes well, will net me some hard cash

*More time to work, again with the money thing (did I mention graduate school? that stuff ain't cheap)

*ummm....

*Don't need to rush on my GRE's, so maybe a better score, and time to retake if I really f-up.

Bottom line: I'm not happy. I was really getting geared up, eager to leave, excited to start the journey. And now I have to wait a minimum of 6 months, while paying all sorts of lab fees to keep monitoring my iron levels.

And that's it. Maybe there will be more to say in December. But, until then...

The End.

No comments: