7.16.2005

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

In and out.

Mum and I went to Meijer last night at 11p to wait for the 12:01a release of HP #6. A decent line when we arrived, good atmosphere, nice. At precisely 12:01a, the line began moving and we got our copy. It's thinner than #4, at only 652 pages, which I admit was a bit of a disappointment. Books this good... it's such a pain to reach the end.

12:34a I began reading, curled in a chair in the basement, away from the blare of the TV. Immediately, I was sucked in. Unlike the previous 5, Rowling dove right in to the story with hardly a beat missed. There was no recap -you either knew the story or you were to remain confused. And with that was an aura of urgency. It was a more dramatic story than any before.

5:20a I took a break to sleep. Awake at 10a, I got back to reading as soon as I got a mug of coffee. Potty breaks and one food break, small opportunities to refuel for the journey. 5:30p and I was finished. 17 hours from beginning to end, if you don't stop the clock for sleep.

Should you read it? Well, yes, if you are an HP fan. Be prepared, though. This is not the children's book it is claimed to be. This is a book for adults; a dark, heavy, and difficult book. Reviewers themselves note #6 to be "the darkest and most unsettling installment yet." [New York Times reviewer Michiko Kakutani]

The light in all the gloom: "You get a lot of answers in this book," Rowling [sic] said as she arrived at Edinburgh Castle for a special midnight reading before thousands of adoring fans. A lot of answers that open the door for new questions. This is going to be a seriously long year, awaiting HP#7.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I promise you that if you leave this land I will ship that next book to you overnight! I'm glad that you got to read and enjoy the book. So the question that beckons is, when are you going to re-read it??
Much Love
Jenn

Jess said...

Mum and I were talking... Rowling isn't going to even start writing HP#7 until the end of the year, as she is taking some time to breathe and be with her family. Then, the writing, editing and publishing... I may just be home by the time the silly thing hits the shelves!!
As soon as I finished 6, I started on 5. I think I'll go backwards through them as much as I feel (the early ones just don't seem as good anymore, with all the new ones). Who knows?!
When are YOU gonna read it??