10.18.2004

The Old-Fashioned Way

So. I have survived my second major power outage. I woke up Sunday to a powerless apartment, with no clue of what had happened. Took a while to find out the whole freakin' town, and several of our dearest neighboring towns, had been zapped. No worries, right? Well... it gets cold... and the stove is electric, so no cooking... no shower... no heat... In Detroit, it was summer, the pantry was stocked, the stove is gas so we could eat, all important things. So, I rebelled by laying on the couch, with a cat and a good (sort of) book, napping and reading.

Mostly, I was just scared as hell that I would have to go to work with no power. Imagine, 12 hours in a cold, spooky house, with no security, no phones, NO COFFEE, no nothin. lawdy!

Never fear. Downtown MQT got power about 4:30p, others about 6:30p, and some poor souls not until 11p. The radio people said that things had been turned off for maintainance and the replacement generator schizzed out and then the backup genny schizzed as well. Seems they should have maintained the replacement team before fixing the front line.

I wonder if they'll make t-shirts for this one....

No comments: