2.04.2005

Telemarketing 101

We've been getting some weird calls this week... Phone rings, pick it up, "hello?", and a machine says "please hold for the next available operator...". Excuse me??

The first time I got that, I hesitated, like, should I hold? What if this is important? Maybe a long-distance, operator-connected call? There's no hold music... am I really on hold? What is this??

This morning, the call was executed a little better. The machine said, "this is the firefighters union, blah-d-blah, please hold for an operator." Hey hey! -I know who is calling! I'm still insulted to be put on hold like that, but, at least I have the peace of mind of knowing who I hung up on, and I'm not left to spend the day thinking 'what was that call??'

I mean, really, people. It's one thing to make a call and be put on hold forever -you know who you are calling and why, and can therefore decide how long you want to be on hold. You know what your business is and what will happen when they pick up the line. With this shit, all I know is that it's most likely a person asking for money. I'm not sure.

Today's phone lesson: let people know who you are and why you are calling before you put them on hold!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Bratface. I thought you were supposed to take me downtown today? Too cool for me now?